Biology and Ecology of Pharmaceutical Marine Mollusks (Biology and Ecology of Pharmaceutical Marine Life Books) 1st Edition
- Serves as a standard reference for researchers, teachers and students of various disciplines such as Fisheries Science, Marine Biology, Life Sciences, Biotechnology, Natural Products, Biochemistry, and Pharmacy, their libraries, and as a valuable guide for pharmaceutical companies involved in the development of new drugs
- Presents the taxonomy, common name, global distribution, and habitat of 275 species of marine molluscs
- Provides the diagnostic features and pharmaceutical compounds (along with their chemical structure and activities) of 275 species of marine molluscs
- Includes more than 500 detailed illustrations
- Covers bivalves, gastropods, and cephalopods
Biology and Ecology of Pharmaceutical Marine Molluscs is the first comprehensive book of its kind written by scientists from both the Marine Biology and Pharmacy disciplines to fill the long-felt need for a marine natural products book devoted exclusively to molluscs. The taxonomy, common name, global distribution, habitat, diagnostic features and pharmaceutical compounds (along with their activities) of 275 species of marine molluscs are given in this comprehensive work, with accompanying illustrations.
Bioactive substances isolated from marine invertebrates such as poriferans, coelenterates, molluscs, echinoderms, bryozoans and tunicates have been reported to possess antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal, antifungal, antihelmintic and anticancer activities. Among the marine invertebrates, marine molluscs have significant commercial applications; for instance, as a source of food, ornaments and production of lime. A few species of molluscs have also been reported to act as scavengers in cleaning the environment and pollution indicators. Recently, many molluscan species have been identified as a potential source of secondary metabolites, having a wide range of pharmaceutical applications.
This should be a standard reference for students, researchers and teachers of disciplines such as Pharmacy, Fisheries Science, Marine Biology, Life Sciences, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, as well as a valuable guide for pharmaceutical companies involved in the development of new drugs from marine molluscs.
- Series: Biology and Ecology of Pharmaceutical Marine Life Books
- Hardcover: 218 pages
- Publisher: CRC Press; 1 edition (January 14, 2019)
- Language: English